Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Limo-driving Pope

The Pope's limousine driver arrived at the airport one morning to pick up the Pope. He packed all of the luggage into the limo (and he doesn't travel light), but when he was finished, noticed that the Pope was still standing on the curb.

"Excuse me, Your Eminence," said the driver, "Would you please take your seat so we can leave?"

"Well, to tell you the truth," said the Pope, "they never let me drive at the Vatican, and I'd really like to drive today."

"I'm sorry but I cannot let you do that. I'd lose my job! And what if something should happen?" protested the driver, wishing he'd never gone to work that morning.

"There might be something extra in it for you," said the Pope. Reluctant and uneasy, the driver got in the back as the Pope climbed in behind the wheel.

The driver quickly regretted his decision when, after exiting the airport, the Supreme Pontiff floored it, accelerating the limo to 105 mph.

"Please slow down, Your Holiness!!!" pleaded the worried driver, but The Pope kept the pedal to the metal until they heard sirens.

"Oh, my God! I'm gonna lose my license...I'm finished!" moaned the driver.

The Pope pulled over and rolled down the window as the cop approached. The cop took one look at him, went back to his motorcycle and got on the radio. "I need to talk to the Chief," he said to the dispatcher.

The Chief got on the radio and the cop told him that he stopped a limo going a hundred and five. "So bust him," said the Chief.

"I don't think we want to do that, he's really important," said the cop. The Chief exclaimed, "All The more reason!"

"No, I mean really important," said the cop. The Chief then asked, "Who ya got there, the Mayor?"

"Bigger," said the cop.

"Governor?" asked the Chief.

"Bigger," the cop said.

“Well," said the Chief, "Who is it?"

"I think it's God!" the cop said, almost dumbfounded

"What makes you think it's God?"

The cop didn't hesitate, and said:

"He's got the Pope for a limo driver!"





Laughasaurus worthiness:

I should first add that I in no way endorse the Pope, and this blog in no way endorses the belief in the type of God that could sit in a limousine.

But I like this joke because, like many good jokes, it uses misdirection before getting ultimately to the punchline--a pretty good punchline, too.

The Pope has probably as much security and protection as U.S. presidents. He may even have more because of that big glass-encased mobile he is always riding around in. Obviously, for the purposes of the punchline, the Pope could not be riding in the Pope mobile; it had to be a limo, where the subject is often hidden by the dark tinted windows.

Misdirection is used here to send you off down one path, expecting something completely different to happen, before laying down the unexpected punchline. Magicians use misdirection in magic tricks to make the viewers follow them one way, confuse them, and then reveal the trick.

With this joke, you are really not sure about the punchline until it is actually laid out. You're not even sure where this joke could possibly be going, because it doesn't have any of the expected elements of most jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to Technorati Favorites