Thursday, July 16, 2009

Arrested Development: G.O.B. (George Oscar Bluth)

Today, I've decided, is as good a day as any to bring Laughasaurus fans into the exceptional world of "Arrested Development."

I'll just lay it out for you now, that I think the show is the the funniest and smartest show I've ever seen.

And what better way to bring those of you who are not yet fans into the inner circle than an examination of one of the show's--and I believe television's--greatest characters, the eldest son of George and Lucille Bluth, George Oscar Bluth II. (He goes by "Gob," pronounced like "jobe.") Over the course of the next months, I will slowly add to the Laughasaurus collection of "Arrested Development" family members and characters--slowly, so as not to overdo it.

Gob Bluth, played by actor Will Arnett, is the dumbest and most obnoxious of the Bluth children, as even their own mother admits: "I don't care for Gob," she says. Yet he is still the creator and center of many of the show's great running gags, a few of them being:

- the chicken dance (caw-ka-caw...caw-ka-caw-ka-caw)
- Franklin, his African-American puppet
- incompetent magic tricks (or "illusions"), and using "The Final Countdown" at every performance
- and the classic line "I've made a huge mistake."

But there's no better way to appreciate Gob than to see him in action:




Laughasaurus worthiness:

There's only so much great writing can do for a TV show without actors who can make the most of that great writing. Will Arnett does a magnificent job with Gob. He always seems to execute his jokes in the best possible manner, with perfect timing.

It is arguable that he is the best character on the show, but that's only because there is some stiff competition (everybody has their favorites, I get it).

But as I sift through Hulu clips, looking for another good one to embed, I realize that there is seldom a scene in which Gob appears where he does not exhibit one of his detestable, yet hilarious, characteristics.

Here's another one:



And a few of his memorable characteristics that add to his stellar comedic value:

- his deep, raspy voice
- blind confidence
- an utter idiot
- selfishness
- disregard for women
- mildly racist
- his inability to ever admit to a mistake

I realize that these might not be the most lovable attributes to find in a person, but when he his racist or sexist or selfish, no matter what he's saying, you can't help but laugh.

2 comments:

  1. Best. Show. Ever. Made. Not even a contest. If I had to choose a favorite character, I'd have to say Lucille though, especially in Season 2. She's pure evil. Can't wait for the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Hard to find a better combo of hilarity and genius writing! Knowing how Mitchell Hurwitz operates, I'm sure the movie will be epic. Thanks for leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete

Add to Technorati Favorites